Realignment Graphs: Commonweal has presented summaries of youth corrections realignment law and implementation in multiple forums since 2007. These include charts, graphs and other information on DJJ downsizing. They provide a graphic overview of California realignment history with charts and supporting data. View charts.
Commonweal CYA Reports: Commonweal published four books on the California Youth Authority and models of youth corrections reform between 1982 and 1990. These include:
- The CYA Report (Part I): Conditions of Life at the California Youth Authority (Steve Lerner, 1982). 164 pages.
- The CYA Report (Part II): The Pattern of Fear and Violence at the California Youth Authority (Steve Lerner, 1986). 71 pages.
- Reforming the CYA (Part III): How to End Crowding, Diversify Treatment and Protect the Public without Spending More Money (Lerner, DeMuro and DeMuro, 1999), 129 pages.
- The Good News About Juvenile Justice: the movement away from large institutions and toward community-based services (Steve Lerner and Allen Breed. 1990), 126 pages.
Limited copies available, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Studies and Reports
- California Legislative Analyst Office, “Completing Juvenile Justice Realignment in California” (February, 2012). A good summary of SB 81 and on going challenge. Read more
- California Board of State and Community Corrections, Youthful Offender Block Grant Annual Reports. These reports track program and spending data under realignment: www.bscc.ca.gov
- Juvenile Justice Operational Master Plan: Blueprint for an Outcome Oriented Juvenile Justice System”; California State Commission on Juvenile Justice (2009). Covers realignment history with implementation recommendations. Read more
- Litigation documents and history. Detailed Information on the Farrell litigation against the state including court orders, expert reports and related information is available at www.prisonlaw.com. See also expert’s reports on DJJ programs on the DJJ website at www.cdcr.ca.gov under the links for juvenile justice.
- DJJ Population data: detailed historical and data reports on population declines under realignment. www.cdcr.ca.gov
- Advocacy organizations. Reform advocacy history and information can be explored on several websites including the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights Bars: www.ellabakercenter.org, Center for Juvenile and Criminal Justice (CJCJ): www.cjcj.org, and Youth Law Center: www.ylc.org